Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 21 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 18 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 17 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 18 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 27 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 20 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 36 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 16 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 26 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 28 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 32 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 22 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 30 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,761,305 times

Random files
knockderry_Castle.jpg
Knockderry Castle, Cove1918 viewsBuilt on the site of a Danish fort about 1855 to the design of the famous architect Alexander 'Greek' Thomson, Knockderry Castle at Cove became the family home of the Templeton carpet manufacturing family. In 1896-7 another famous architect, William Leiper, designed an extension and a lodge for John Templeton, and a famous guest of his at the castle was millionaire philanthropist Andrew Carnegie. For some years a hotel, it is now a private residence again. Image circa 1913, possibly taken from the roof of Bellcairn House, looking south.
War_veterans2.jpg
World War veterans1486 viewsHelensburgh veterans of the First and Second World Wars pictured at a reunion at the Clydeview, East Montrose Street, home of Lieutenant Colonel Archibald MacConnell, DSO, TD (front row, centre), circa 1950. Soon after he donated his house to the Church of Scotland for use as an eventide home. Seated in the front row, second from the left, is World War One Battle of the Somme survivor Archibald Robertson, whose granddaughter Joan Spencer supplied this image. Third from the right in the standing front row is James Taylor, who owned the Music Shop in James Street, and second from the right is Walter S.Bryden, son of Provost Sam Bryden and owner of Macneur & Bryden Ltd. and the Helensburgh and Gareloch Times. Thomas Garrity DCM, an accomplished drummer who taught many aspiring local drummers, is seated front far left.
Craigrownie-w.jpg
Craigrownie Church345 viewsUntil the 19th century the only church on the Rosneath Peninsula was in Rosneath itself. However with the coming of steamships the population of Cove and Kilcreggan expanded rapidly, and this was what brought about the construction of Craigrownie Church in Cove in 1852. By the 1880s the church was proving too small and in 1889 it was extended by the architects Honeyman and Keppie. Today it is home to the only Church of Scotland congregation in Cove and Kilcreggan, being linked with Rosneath and Garelochhead, and it was refurbished in 2017. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Image1-104.jpg
Kidston Park1083 viewsOnly the base of the bandstand exists today.
Shandon_Church009.jpg
Shandon Church617 viewsShandon Church with the start of the pier opposite, circa 1908. It became linked with Rhu Church in 1954, which led to full union in 1971. It ceased to be a church in 1981, and was converted into dwellings.
St_Michael_and_All_Angels_choir_1950s.jpg
St Michael's Choir763 viewsThe choir of Helensburgh's St Michael's and All Angels Church, circa 1950. Image supplied by Sue Taylor.
Tarbet_19072513.jpg
Ben Lomond from Tarbet651 viewsA view of Ben Lomond from across Loch Lomond at Tarbet, with cattle in the foreground and a steamer in the distance, circa 1907. The artist's name appears to be P.Wansey, but the signature is hard to make out.
PS_Juno21910.jpg
PS Juno787 viewsOriginally ordered by South of England owners, the 592-ton Juno was built by Clydebank Engineering and Shipbuilding (formerly Thomson) in 1898. She was based at Ayr, where this picture was taken circa 1922, and used for excursions. During World War One she was requisitioned as a minesweeper on the Firth of Forth as HMS Junior. After the war she was based again at Ayr and was there until the end of the 1931 season, before being scrapped the following year.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront2 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse46 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit40 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed13 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque26 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh36 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer14 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone18 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019