Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 21 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 18 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 17 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 18 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 27 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 20 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 36 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 32 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 16 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 26 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 28 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 32 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 22 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 34 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 30 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,761,305 times

Random files
GIS_(Peaty)7.jpg
Gregor Ian Smith905 viewsA portrait by Jon Peaty of well known Helensburgh artist Gregor Ian Smith. It is owned by Helensburgh and District Art Club, of which Gregor Ian was a leading member for many years.
The-Barracks6.jpg
The Barracks1107 viewsA notorious property known as The Barracks, or Fugie's Property, which was on the west side of James Street between Princes Street and King Street roughly where the playpark now is, is pictured in the early stages of demolition in the 1890s. The 29 dwellings had housed railway employees and railway construction workers.
Faslane_19825.jpg
CND Demonstration1250 viewsMembers of the Campaign for Nuclear Disarmament demonstrate outside the south gate of the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on March 22 1982.
Duchess_of_Argyll2021.jpg
TS Duchess of Argyll990 viewsThe 593-ton turbine steamer Duchess of Argyll was built by William Denny & Brothers at Dumbarton in 1906 for the Ardrossan to Arran run. Requisitioned as a transport ship in World War One, she returned to service in the 1919 season, making the Kyles of Bute and Arran run her own. She moved to the long cruises to Inveraray and Campbeltown in 1936, returned to the Kyles of Bute run after the war, and was sold in 1952 to the Admiralty for experimental work at Portland. She was scrapped at Newhaven in 1970.
Toastmistress-club41610.jpg
Helensburgh Toastmistress Club1033 viewsMembers of Helensburgh Toastmistress Club are pictured with guest speaker Jack House, a well known Glasgow journalist, on the lawn in front of the Queen's Hotel prior to their annual luncheon. Image date unknown.
Ardgartan_Youth_Hostel.jpg
Ardgartan Youth Hostel632 viewsArdgartan Youth Hostel, three miles from Arrochar on the west side of Loch Long, is seen with the Cobbler in the background. The Scottish Youth Hostels Association obtained the hostel, which sleeps over 100, from the King George's Jubilee Trust, which purchased it in 1936. Originally Ardgartan House, a private mansion built by Campbell of Strachur, it was closed in 1968, and replaced with a more modern building. Image date unknown.
Theatre-Arts-67-trophy-win1~1.jpg
Theatre triumph619 viewsHelensburgh Theatre Arts Club producer Mrs Vera McIntyre is pictured with Provost J.McLeod Williamson at a civic reception in the Court Hall of the Municipal Buildings, given by the Town Council to mark the club's achievement in winning the Scottish Community Drama Association's annual three act play festival final in May 1967 at the Albert Hall, Stirling, with Mrs McIntyre's production of Thornton Wilder's 'Our Town'. In the background is the Stirling Cup.
Jack-Buchanan3.jpg
Jack Buchanan587 viewsAn autographed photo of Helensburgh-born Jack Buchanan, the international entertainer and Hollywood film star. Born on April 2 1891, he grew up in the town and was a great friend of TV inventor John Logie Baird. He died on October 20 1957 at the age of 66.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront2 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse46 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit40 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed13 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque26 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh36 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer14 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone18 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019