Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 95 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 52 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 42 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 63 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 95 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 41 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 43 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 40 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 66 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 63 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 43 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 79 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 77 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 62 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 38 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 52 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 56 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 65 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 62 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 71 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 61 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,770,675 times

Random files
04a-w.jpg
Painters lorry612 viewsDavid Wilson is pictured with the McCulloch painters and decorators lorry at 29 Colquhoun Square, Helensburgh, circa 1930. Mr Wilson died about 1945, and this image was supplied by his grand-daughter, Marlyn Ritchie.
Donald_MacLeod_processed.jpg
Donald MacLeod940 viewsTailor Donald MacLeod is seen at the door of his shop at the junction of East Clyde Street and Maitland Street in Helensburgh. Donald also wrote 'A Nonogenarian's Guide to Garelochside and Helensburgh', based on what he had been told by his uncle Gabriel MacLeod, who was the nonogenarian. Image, circa 1900, supplied by a descendant, Molly Bradshaw of Kilcreggan.
Rest_and_Be_Thankful1382.jpg
Rest And Be Thankful612 viewsA view up the Rest And Be Thankful roads, old and new, from Glencroe. Date unknown.
1881-Baird-poster-1-w.jpg
Evening lecture549 viewsThe Rev John Baird, father of TV inventor John Logie Baird and minister of Helensburgh's West Established Church, later St Bride's Church, gave a lecture on the French Revolution in the Pavilion at Blanefield on February 10 1882. Image by courtesy of Michael Dryden.
Loch_Sloy_dam.jpg
Loch Sloy Dam580 viewsThe Loch Sloy Dam, near Tarbet. The UK's largest conventional hydroelectric power station, Sloy Power Station, takes water from Loch Sloy through four large pipes down the hillside giving a working height of 277 metres. Loch Sloy is fed by tunnels and aqueducts from a much larger area. The power station was opened in 1950 by the Queen Mother and was designed to provide power to Central Scotland at Scotland at times of peak demand. The station was refurbished in the late 1990s. Image date unknown.
Waverley.jpg
Waverley leaves Helensburgh743 viewsThe Waverley is pictured leaving Helensburgh. Photo by Joe McKendrick, date unknown.
Cameron_House.jpg
Cameron House1264 viewsCameron House at Duck Bay, Loch Lomond, before it became a luxury hotel. It was the family home of Patrick Telfer Smollett and his wife Gina, and was surrounded by 25 acres of gardens which for some years he operated as a Bear Park before he sold the property in 1986. The 18th century baronial mansion — for a time the home of 18th century novelist and poet Tobias Smollett — was steeped in Scottish history, and contained many unique and unusual collections. For three centuries, the Cameron House estate remained in the hands of the Smollett family, originally merchants and shipbuilders from Dumbarton and later wealthy landed gentry.
Gareloch_by_Flint.jpg
The Gareloch, by Flint695 viewsThe Gareloch from Shandon, painted in 1918 by Sir William Russell Flint. Born in Edinburgh in 1880, Flint’s remarkable talent was discovered at an early age. He studied at the Royal Institution School of Art in Edinburgh and after serving an apprenticeship at a printing works, he moved to London aged 20 to become a medical illustrator. In 1903 he joined the Illustrated London News, then served in World War One and became Admiralty Assistant Overseer - Airships. After the war his artistic career flourished.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront90 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse135 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit75 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed43 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque54 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh70 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer44 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone52 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019