Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 74 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 38 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 31 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 50 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 72 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 33 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 30 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 50 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 47 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 31 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 59 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 57 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 50 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 29 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 40 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 42 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 50 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 45 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 38 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 54 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 46 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,768,125 times

Random files
Hermitage_School_Class_3_1953.jpg
Hermitage School Class 3 1953565 viewsBack row (from left): Willie McSporran, Victor Petrie, Jimmy Reid, Arthur Payne, Donald Gilchrist, Kenneth Craig; middle: Doris Grierson, Eric Bowman, Kenneth Murray, Donald Lawrie, Donald Maclean, Jim Williamson, Elinor Strang; front: Elza Logan, Florence Johnson, Joan Stewart, ?, Sheena MacGregor, ?, Angela Boddie, Elaine Dodd, Cathie McDiarmid. Image supplied by Donald Maclean.
Jubilee_cake_1982.jpg
Cutting the cake741 viewsHelensburgh Cubs and Leaders at the cutting of the Jubilee cake in the Victoria Hall in 1982. Among those in the picture are Alan Crawford (left) and Mrs Mary Copeland (centre). Image supplied by Geoff Riddington.
boatview.jpg
Seafront viewed from a boat1213 viewsThe clock tower is almost centre of the image. Undated.
Ferniegair-from-east142.jpg
Ferniegair from the east1489 viewsFerniegair on West Clyde Street, home of the Kidston family and immediately east of Cairndhu, built in 1869 by architect John Honeyman and demolished in the 1960s. Image supplied by John Johnston.
Baird-in-car-1906-w.jpg
1906 car688 viewsJohn Logie Baird (right) and a friend are seens in his 'Reaper and Binder' three-wheeled car in the Trossachs in 1906. The car was later written off after a crash on the Loch Lomond road.
Hermitage_play1404.jpg
Land of the Free2314 viewsA scene from the Hermitage Academy production of 'Land of the Free', one of the sketches in a school concert entitled 'Conducted Tour" which ran for three nights in March 1969. It was the brainchild of deputy rector John Robertson. Elizabeth Burns is seen as Lady Macbeth.
Craigendoran-low-level8.jpg
Craigendoran Station1496 viewsCraigendoran Station in its heyday, with a steam train approaching from Helensburgh. The station and steamer terminal opened for business under the North British Railway on May 15 1882, and steamer services were finally withdrawn in 1972. The piers have since become derelict, and on the firth side of the line the station buildings are long gone. Date unknown
Baptist-Church-w.jpg
Baptist Church350 viewsThe first meeting of Baptists in Helensburgh was in 1833. However they did not have their own building until 1886 when the present building at 7 East King Street was completed. Baptisms used to take place in the burn at the back of the church. Photo by Professor John Hume.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront47 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse95 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit60 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed30 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque40 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh56 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer30 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone37 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019