Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,949
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 39 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 17 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 26 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 32 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 17 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 16 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 17 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 24 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 23 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — Burgh


Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg

299 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 29 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 15 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 21 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 24 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 25 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 26 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 19 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 28 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 24 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,949 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,759,425 times

Random files
Donald-McKay-at-blacksmith.jpg
Rhu blacksmith773 viewsPainter and decorator Donald McKay at Findlay McCallum's blacksmith workshop behind the Rhu Inn, where Donald also had a workshop. Image circa 1930, supplied by his grandson Iain McKay.
Rosneath-Castle3974~0.jpg
Rosneath Castle671 viewsA view of Rosneath Castle from across the bay at Clynder, circa 1960. Completed in 1806 by London-based architect Joseph Bonomi, this neo-classical mansion replaced a castle burnt down in 1802. It was used as a military hospital during the First World War and was home to Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Louise, the Dowager Duchess of Argyll, until her death in 1939. It was an HQ for the Rosneath Naval Base in World War Two, then abandoned, then damaged by fire in 1947, and demolished in 1961.
Kirkmichael_gala_day_199317.jpg
Gala Day1492 viewsA piper leads the fancy dress procession at the Kirkmichael Gala Day on August 14 1993.
Rosneath_from_Rhu.jpg
Rosneath from Rhu631 viewsA view from Rhu Point looking towards Rosneath Pier and the Lutyens-designed Ferry House, with a steamer travelling into the Gareloch. The pier was closed in 1942. Image circa 1911.
West_Clyde_Street1605.jpg
Helensburgh Seafront965 viewsFrom the pier. Date circa 1960.
Seafront-sketch.jpg
Seafront vision623 viewsAn imaginative sketch of a busy Helensburgh seafront in the 1870s. Image supplied by Stewart Noble.
Garelochhead-Tennis-Club4022~1.jpg
Garelochhead Tennis Club1172 viewsMembers of Garelochhead Tennis Club are pictured at their annual dinner-dance in Helensburgh's Queen's Hotel in November 1960.
Luss2109.jpg
Luss village603 viewsThe main street looking towards Loch Lomond, circa 1925.

Last additions
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse15 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit12 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed7 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque24 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh27 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer11 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone13 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Burgh-pier-w.jpg
Pier from above11 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.Mar 28, 2019