Home Projects Helensburgh Hospital door panel

Helensburgh Hospital door panel

E-mail Print PDF

hospital-1IN the Helensburgh bicentenary year, 2002, a glass panel was spied at Edinburgh Architectural Salvage Yard by a Community Councillor who, on closer examination, saw that it had belonged to an early Helensburgh Hospital and notified the Trust.

A bargain was struck and the panel was bought by the Trust with the aim of carrying out necessary repairs and framing the panel in a light box.

This was completed in 2003 and the door panel is now displayed in the waiting room of the practice of Dr K.MacLeod and partners in the Medical Centre, East King Street, Helensburgh, on indefinite loan.

The door panel commemorates the Helensburgh Hospital (pictured above) which was opened in 1875 and was the first 'proper hospital' Helensburgh had had.

At first both general medical and surgical ailments were treated on the ground floor and infectious diseases on the first floor.

In 1895 with the increasing knowledge of the dangers of cross infections, the general cases were moved to the newly built Victoria Infirmary and the Helensburgh Hospital was re-christened Helensburgh Infectious Diseases Hospital.

The Infectious Diseases Hospital was closed in 1956 and it was demolished three years later.

The building of Helensburgh's first Hospital was made possible by Miss Ann Alexander of Lomond Cottage, 41 Lomond Street, who left the residue of her estate, £946, for that specific purpose. Her example stimulated others to follow her example and four years after her death the hospital was built.

Last Updated ( Sunday, 09 November 2014 17:19 )  

Trust Photo Gallery


View this photo and over 1,900 more at the Heritage Trust Photo Gallery. Visit the gallery.

2018-19 Open Meetings

comet4A new programme of Winter Open Meetings for 2018-19 will begin at Helensburgh Civic Centre at 7.30pm on Wednesday September 26. Details will be published when available.