Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 95 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 52 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 42 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 63 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 95 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 41 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 43 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 40 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 66 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 63 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 43 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 79 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 77 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 62 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 38 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 52 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 56 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 65 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 62 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 71 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 61 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,770,675 times

Random files
Pilcher-3-w.jpg
Percy Pilcher with the Bat741 viewsPercy Pilcher and his sister Ella with the Bat glider at Cardross in 1895.
Queen_s_Hotel_front.jpg
The Queen's Hotel937 viewsOriginally the Baths Hotel and home of Helensburgh's first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, the Queen's Hotel — seen from the suth — was built by Bell in 1806. It was converted into flats in the mid-1980s. Image date unknown.
Mr-_-Mrs-A_N_Paterson-w.jpg
Artistic couple601 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, and the couple are seen here in their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.cx
Wolseley-Garage.jpg
Bandstand and Garage1891 viewsA view of the Helensburgh seafront bandstand with the Granary building in the distance during the period that it was a Garage and Wolseley Depot, circa 1920.
Arrochar-steamers.jpg
Arrochar steamers1174 viewsPassengers can be seen boarding one of two steamers alongside Arrochar pier at the head of Loch Long. Image circa 1906.
Remembrance-1968-w.jpg
Remembrance Day 1968809 viewsThe official party at the 1968 Remembrance Day service at the Cenotaph in Hermitage Park. In front are the Commodore Clyde and Provost J.McLeod Williamson. In the row behind are Town Clerk Robert Mackay, Councillor Norman Glen, Bailie John Langan, Bailie Mrs Jae Gardiner, and Councillor Ian Johnston.
Image1-103.jpg
The Paddling Pool1137 viewsThe paddling pool on Helensburgh's west seafront. Date unknown.
Craigendoran_(Tuck).jpg
Craigendoran Pier685 viewsA Tuck & Sons Oilette postcard of Craigendoran Pier, circa 1907, painted by Henry Wimbush, who was most active in painting between 1881 and 1908 when he lived at various addresses in London. Like many of his contemporaries in the Tuck's postcards stable, he toured Britain for inspiration and his coverage was far more comprehensive than many of the other Tuck illustrators — including a number of Clyde scenes. His watercolours were published by Tuck between 1904 and 1908, the majority in the Oilette series.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront90 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse135 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit75 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed43 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque54 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh70 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer44 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone52 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019