Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 95 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 52 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 42 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 63 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 95 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 41 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 43 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 40 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 66 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 63 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 43 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 79 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 77 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 62 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 38 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 52 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 56 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 65 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 62 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 71 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 61 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,770,675 times

Random files
Arden-House~0.jpg
Arden House1550 viewsOne of the big Loch Lomond mansions, now converted into flats.
Rhu-Spit016.jpg
Rhu Spit665 viewsA view of the Gareloch from above Rhu. Image date unknown, circa early 1900s.
Comet-model-w.jpg
Model gifted646 viewsMrs Mary-Pat Smith and Mrs Nancy Jackson, daughters of Helensburgh's last Provost, Norman M.Glen CBE, with a model of the Comet they presented to Helensburgh Library at the opening of the 2002 Bell Exhibition organised by Doris Gentles as part of the burgh bicentenary celebrations.
Deborah-Kerr-1972.jpg
Deborah Kerr 1972706 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr at 50. She was photographed in a London hotel on August 10 1972 while rehearsing for a new play 'The Day After The Fair', based on a Thomas Hardy short story and written by Frank Harvey. The production went on a short tour of the provinces before opening at London's Lyric Theatre in October.
Hel-Golf-Club-1st-tee-w.jpg
Teeing off794 viewsA lady and the caddie watch as a player drives from the first tee at Helensburgh Golf Club. Image circa 1930.
1961-Deborah-Kerr-in-towel-w.jpg
Sundowner733 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr is pictured in a scene from the Warner Brothers movie 'The Sundowners', set in 1920s Australia, in which she starred with Robert Mitchum, Peter Ustinov and Glynis Johns. This image appeared in Woman magazine on January 21 1961, four weeks after the film, directed by Fred Zinnemann, was released. Paddy Carmody (Robert Mitchum) is a roaming Irish sheepherder who loves his nomadic lifestyle. His wife, Ida (Deborah Kerr), and young son Sean do not share his wanderlust, and family tensions come to a head after Ida persuades Paddy to settle down with a steady job.
Shandon_Hydro_Terrace1227.jpg
Shandon Hydro Terrace835 viewsOnly the towers on the left remain of Shandon Hydropathic Hotel. Originally West Shandon, this magnificent building was the home of Robert Napier, the greatest figure in Clyde shipbuilding and marine engineering in the mid-19th century. During World War One the Hydro became a hospital, and in World War Two it was used by the army. In 1951 it became a hotel again, but in 1957 it was closed and demolished.
PS_Saint_Columba2284.jpg
TS Saint Columba884 viewsThe 785-ton turbine steamer was launched on April 9 1912 at the yard of William Denny & Bros Ltd., Dumbarton. Placed on the Campeltown run in succession to her namesake, she was requisitioned as a troop transport ship from 1915 to 1919 during which time she rammed and sank a German U-Boat. After the war she served Campbeltown, Inveraray and Ardrishaig until World War Two, when she was an accommodation ship at Greenock. She returned to the summer Ardrishaig service from 1947 until the end of the 1958 season, but was withdrawn and scrapped shortly afterwards. She is pictured arriving at Rothesay, circa 1950.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront90 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse135 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit75 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed43 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque54 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh70 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer44 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone52 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019