Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 94 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 52 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 42 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 63 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 94 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 41 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 43 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 40 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 65 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 62 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 43 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 78 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 75 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 60 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 38 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 52 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 54 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 64 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 62 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 70 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 60 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,770,553 times

Random files
Deborah_Kerr,_Spencer_Tracy2.jpg
Deborah Kerr and Spencer Tracy690 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr and Spencer Tracy in a scene from George Kukor's 1949 drama 'Edward My Son', a Broadway stage hit successfully transferred to the screen. It tells the story of a man who will commit any crime in order to make his son a success, even driving away his wife in the process. The movie was adapted by Donald Ogden Stewart from the play by Noel Langley and Robert Morley, and won Deborah an Academy best actress award nomination.
BSS_Home_Rhu.jpg
Sailors visit home1014 viewsSailors from the United States submarine Hammerhead, which was visiting the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane, are pictured at the British Sailors Society childrens home at Lagarie House, Rhu, in October 1969. Opened in 1949 it was closed in 1982 and later converted into flats.
Cardross-Parish-Church-w.jpg
Cardross Old Parish Church599 viewsThe church, the second on the site, was built in 1826 to designs by Greenock architect George Dempster. It was destroyed by incendiary bombs dropped by German bombers over the night of May 5-6 1941. The tower and walls were made safe in 1954 as a memorial, with the interior raised as a lawn, and the tower was restored in 1999. The graveyard contains monuments from the 17th, 18th and 19th centuries.
Garelochhead-from-pier-w.jpg
Garelochhead from pier692 viewsTwo boys play on the pier in this old view of Garelochhead published by M.C.Robertson of West End Library, Helensburgh. The pier, built in 1879, was demolished in 1992.
cairndhu_07.jpg
Cairndhu carving1039 viewsA cafrving high on the wall of the former Cairndhu Hotel, later a nursing home for the elderly and now disused and boarded up. Originally Cairndhu House, it was built in 1871 to a William Leiper design in the style of a grand chateau for John Ure, Provost of Glasgow, whose son became Lord Strathclyde and lived in the mansion. 2011 image by Stewart Noble.
Garelochead-shops.jpg
Garelochhead shops755 viewsThe Main Street and shops in Garelochhead. Image date unknown.
neddy_s-point-w.jpg
Neddy's Point644 viewsAn 1840s image of Neddy's Point — now Kidston Park. It was formerly named Cairndhu Point, and was known locally as Neddy’s Point after a well known fisherman and ferryman who lived in a cottage on the point. On it stood the original Ardencaple Coaching Inn, stone from which was used by the Duke of Argyll to build what is now the Ardencaple Hotel. Image supplied by Doris Gentles.
Sir_Alec_Rose5.jpg
Sir Alec Rose1154 viewsSingle-handed round the world yachtsman Sir Alec Rose visited the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on March 19 1969 to talk to members of the Royal Naval Sailing Association and the Neptune Sailing Club about his experiences, and also toured the submarine HMS Porpoise. He is pictured with Helensburgh man Admiral Ian McGeoch (left), Flag Officer Scotland and Northern Ireland, and the Commodore Clyde, Commodore Derek Kent.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront86 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse130 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit75 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed43 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque54 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh70 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer44 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone52 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019