Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 94 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 52 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 42 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 63 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 94 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 41 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 43 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 40 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 65 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 62 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 43 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 78 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 75 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 60 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 38 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 52 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 54 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 64 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 62 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 70 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 60 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,770,553 times

Random files
Kinnear_Private_Hotel.jpg
Kinnear House473 viewsThis building at the corner of Charlotte Street and Victoria Road in Helensburgh has had several uses over the years. At the time the picture was taken it was Kinnear Private Hotel, but it was also the first St Bride's School and in World War Two was used to billet officers working at the Marine Aircraft Experimental Establishment, RAF Helensburgh. Today it is divided into two private dwellings. Image date unknown.

Jeanie_Deans_at_Craigendoran.jpg
Jeanie Deans at Craigendoran985 viewsThe paddle steamer Jeanie Deans was built by Fairfield at Govan and launched in 1931, then extensively refitted after war service. She remained a passenger favourite on cruises from Craigendoran until the end of the 1964 season. The next year she went to the Thames and was renamed 'Queen of the South'. She was broken up in Antwerp, Belgium, in 1967. Image circa 1949.
Fishing_boats.jpg
Fishing boats559 viewsFishing boats tied up at Helensburgh pier. Image circa 1942.
1946-Helensburgh-Cubs-w.jpg
3rd Helensburgh Cubs696 viewsA 1946 group of Helensburgh Cubs. Top row (from left): Teddy McEwan, Jim Steel, Jim Spence, Norman Fagan, Billy Dixon, Robert Watt, Gordon Hamilton, Sandy Wright, ?, Robin Adair, Cosmo Fraser, Gordon Grant; second row: Scott Milne, Jim Aitken, John Oswald, Graham Scott, Charlie Dickens, ?, Gordon Peebles, Tony McAuley, Alister McLeod and (first name unknown) Norvel, Jim Kennedy, Robert Burns; third row: Willie Thomson, Hugh Abraham, Billy Campbell, Campbell Jardine, Mary Brough, ?, Miss Murdoch, ?, ?, Gordon Fraser, Clark Gibson, Douglas Lamb, Leo Hendry; front row: Tony Wright, Sandy Peters, Angus Tran, Jim Campbell, Jim McNeil, Donald Cameron, Iain Campbell, Kenneth Gibson, ?, David Griffith. Image supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Comet-model-SN-1.jpg
Launching replica554 viewsThis model of the 1962 Comet replica was made by Helensburgh and District Modellers Club, and a member is seen launching it beside the pier during the bicentenary celebrations in Helensburgh on Saturday August 4. The club subsequently donated the model to Helensburgh Heritage Trust for display in the Heritage Centre in Helensburgh Library in West King Street. Photo by Stewart Noble.
John-Carlaw-seafront.jpg
East Clyde Street849 viewsThis 51 x 74 cms watercolour of East Clyde Street by John Carlaw (1850-1934) was used on the cover of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book '200 Years of Helensburgh', published to mark the burgh's bicentenary. The artist, a friend of the late Victorian painters of the 'Glasgow School', lived at Seacliffe, 112 East Clyde Street, some 200 yards from where this was painted.
Loch_Lomond_Frozen_1963.jpg
Frozen steamer854 viewsThe Maid of the Loch steamer is ice-bound beside the pier at Balloch, Loch Lomond, in the big freeze of 1963. People can be seen standing on the ice at the end of the pier. Photo by Iain Duncan.
Bell-Monument3873.jpg
Bell Monument882 viewsA sunny day in West Clyde Street at the Henry Bell monument, circa 1951.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront86 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse130 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit75 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed43 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque54 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh70 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer44 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone52 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019