Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,949
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 39 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 17 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 26 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 32 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 17 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 16 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 17 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 24 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 23 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — Burgh


Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg

299 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 29 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 15 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 21 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 24 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 25 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 26 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 19 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 28 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 24 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,949 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,759,425 times

Random files
Loch-Sloy-pipes-w.jpg
Loch Sloy pipeline633 viewsThe pipeline from Loch Sloy down the hillside to the Loch Sloy Hydro-Electric Station at Inveruglas on the west bank of Loch Lomond. Work on the scheme started in May 1945, using German prisoners of war, and it was opened by HM The Queen on October 18 1950. Twenty one lives were lost during its construction. Photo supplied by Gordon Fraser.
Baird-erecting-aerial-w.jpg
Erecting aerial570 viewsThis image from the 1926 book 'Television: Seeing by Wireless', written by Alfred Dinsdale, A.M.I.R.E., shows John Logie Baird an assistant erecting the aerial at 2T.V., the world's first television broadcasting station at the offices of Television Limited in the heart of London. The receiving station was nine miles away at Harrow. A copy of the first edition of this book fetched over £10,000 at a Christies auction.
Farm_ladies_Shearer-query-w.jpg
Farm ladies party725 viewsA FORMER Helensburgh woman now living in Shetland, Cathy Shearer, is trying to find out more about this photo of a group of women, including her granny, Barbara McAdam (back row 5th from left), who died in 1954 aged 67. The photo was taken between 1940-1954 by Alexandria photographers Leddy and Glen, probably in the Helensburgh area. At the time Barbara lived at either Callendoune Farm, Helensburgh, or Crossburn Cottage half a mile from the Cross Keys towards Luss. She would like to find out where and when the photo was taken, who the group of women are and what the occasion is. If you can help, please email the editor of this website.
Municipal_Buildings_cat.jpg
Municipal Buildings cat832 viewsThis cat was a flight of fancy by architect and watercolourist Alexander Nisbet Paterson who was commissioned to design an extension to the Municipal Buildings in 1902 which was completed in 1906. The cat had become the pet of the builders, so the architect, a cat lover, immortalised it in stone on the second storey on the Sinclair Street side. As the extension housed the police station, he also added two pairs of stone handcuffs above the door. Image taken and supplied by Donald Fullarton.
United-Reformed-Church-w.jpg
United Reformed Church399 viewsThis building occupies the site of Helensburgh's very first church, The Tabernacle, which was built in 1802 at the corner of James Street and West Princes Street. Almost immediately after the building was opened the congregation voted to become part of the Congregational Church. The original building had to be demolished in 1851 and a new church was built on the site which now serves as the church hall, and which can be seen on the right side of the photo. Today's church (on the left of the photo) was built in 1884. In 2000 the Congregational Church joined the United Reformed Church. Photo by Professor John Hume.
Kirkmichael_gala_day_199317.jpg
Gala Day1492 viewsA piper leads the fancy dress procession at the Kirkmichael Gala Day on August 14 1993.
Helensburgh_engine.jpg
724 viewsThe North British Railway's D50 Class, 4-4-0T No. 496, Helensburgh, pictured in 1910. It was built for passenger services on the Glasgow-Helensburgh line by Neilson & Co in 1879.
Deborah_Kerr,_Spencer_Tracy2.jpg
Deborah Kerr and Spencer Tracy686 viewsHelensburgh film star Deborah Kerr and Spencer Tracy in a scene from George Kukor's 1949 drama 'Edward My Son', a Broadway stage hit successfully transferred to the screen. It tells the story of a man who will commit any crime in order to make his son a success, even driving away his wife in the process. The movie was adapted by Donald Ogden Stewart from the play by Noel Langley and Robert Morley, and won Deborah an Academy best actress award nomination.

Last additions
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse15 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit12 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed7 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque24 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh27 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer11 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone13 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Burgh-pier-w.jpg
Pier from above11 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.Mar 28, 2019