Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,950
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 94 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 52 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 42 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 63 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 94 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 41 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 43 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 40 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 65 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 62 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 43 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 78 times

Places — Burgh


Seafront-relax-w.jpg

300 files, last one added on May 19, 2019
Album viewed 75 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 60 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 38 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 52 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 54 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 64 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 62 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 47 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 70 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 60 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,950 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,770,553 times

Random files
1970-03-old-parish-church-w.jpg
Old Parish Church619 viewsThe Old Parish Church on Helensburgh seafront, circa 1970, which stood on the seafront and later became a Church of Scotland centre for servicemen and women. It was opened on May 23 1847. Now only the tower is standing, and contains the tourist information office. Image by Stewart Noble.
Rosneath_from_Rhu.jpg
Rosneath from Rhu634 viewsA view from Rhu Point looking towards Rosneath Pier and the Lutyens-designed Ferry House, with a steamer travelling into the Gareloch. The pier was closed in 1942. Image circa 1911.
Burgh-Railway-Staff0602.jpg
Railway Staff1258 viewsStaff at Helensburgh Central Station in 1928. Back row from left: Dan Feeney, — , — , Lizzie Robertson, George Taylor, Mrs Sarah Shields, Sam McKinlay, Willie Wilkie, — . Third: Jean Wallace, Dennis Shields, Bessie McDonach, — , Sarah McDonald, Tommy Patterson, Julia O'Brien, Pat Boyce, Miss Robb, John Rafferty. Second: Norman McLeod, John McConnell, Mrs Lorimer, — , stationmaster and local councillor George Stevenson, — , — , Sandy Chapman, — . Front: Willie Busby, Duncan McInnes, Harry Stevenson, Pat Coleman, Willie Ritchie, Joe Kennan.
Hermitage-1-06_083.jpg
Academy opening1936 viewsVIP guests the Duke of Argyll and the Commodore Clyde, Commodore Chris Hockley, and his wife chat after the official opening of the second Hermitage Academy at Colgrain on June 4 2008.
Luss-Rescue-Boat571.jpg
Loch Lomond Rescue Boat871 viewsThe Luss-based Loch Lomond Rescue Boat, the St John, and its crew pictured at its jetty, with Ben Lomond in the background. This 2007 image — which is copyright Lochside Photography, Dumbarton — is used by the crew of 22 volunteers to present to sponsors who help with fundraising to meet the £12,000 annual running cost.
theclyde.jpg
View from the Highlandman's Way838 viewsShowing a steamer heading for Craigendoran Pier and one which has just left Helensburgh pier, with Ardmore Point in the distance.
Centenary_monument108.jpg
Centenary Monument815 viewsLooking west from Colquhoun Square along West Princes Street before the Centenary Monument was moved from the centre of the square to the north west quadrant. Provost Sam Bryden, who owned Macneur & Bryden's newsagent and gift shop in East Princes Street, Helensburgh, was the man responsible for the erection of the monument. Image circa 1908.
Two-Burgh-Hospitals.jpg
Two Burgh Hospitals847 viewsOn the left is the Victoria Infirmary, built in 1895 to the design of the celebrated architect William Leiper and partly in use today, and on the right is the Helensburgh Infectious Diseases Hospital which was in operation from 1875 to 1956. It was demolished three years later. Image date unknown.

Last additions
Seafront-relax-w.jpg
Relaxing on seafront86 viewsA 1912 image showing two ladies with hats relaxing on the west esplanade near the pier.May 19, 2019
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse130 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit75 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed43 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque54 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh70 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer44 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone52 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019