Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,949
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 39 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 17 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 26 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 32 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 17 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 16 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 17 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 24 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 23 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — Burgh


Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg

299 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 29 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 15 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 21 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 24 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 25 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 26 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 19 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 28 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 24 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,949 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,759,425 times

Random files
1960_Craigendoran_swim1621.jpg
1960 Craigendoran Swim1475 viewsHelensburgh Swimming Club prepare to dive from Craigendoran pier to swim to Helensburgh pier in the annual event in August 1960. The first girl is club champion for many years Sheila Bell, next to her is Elspeth McLean, and fifth girl along is Sandy MacRitchie. The boy second from right rubbing his hands is Colin McCallum. Further details would be welcomed by the editor.
Hel-Provost-chain-2-w.jpg
Provost's chain615 viewsA large engraved link which hangs at the foot of the Helensburgh Provost's chain of office. Possibly presented in 1812, the chain marks to the right the first Provost, steamship pioneer Henry Bell, who served from 1802, the year the town became a Burgh of Barony, to 1809, and to the left Norman M.Glen, the last Provost, who served from 1970-75. Photo by Stewart Noble.
Press_at_Faslane_1969.jpg
Press at Faslane 1969852 viewsMembers of the press visit the Clyde Submarine Base at Faslane on June 11 1969. On the left is Bill Heaney (County Reporter, Dumbarton), and beside him is Gerry Fitzgerald (Fitzgerald Owens News Agency, Dumbarton). Fourth from left is Donald Fullarton (Helensburgh Advertiser), and third from right is Angela Sandeman (Helensburgh and Gareloch Times). The naval officers are Commodore Clyde Peter G.la Niece and Commander George Haynes.
Baldwin-Barr1.jpg
Prime Minister's visit618 viewsPrime Minister Stanley Baldwin is greeted by the Rev Andrew Barr when he arrived at the West United Free Church (now the West Kirk) to unveil a five-light commemorative window by Oscar Paterson to Andrew Bonar Law, Prime Minister from 1922-23, his wife Annie, and their two sons who were killed in the First World War.
Queen_s-Hotel-w.jpg
Queen's Hotel478 viewsThe Queen's Hotel on Helensburgh eastern seafront was originally Baths House, built by Henry Bell, who built Europe's first commercial steamship the Comet in 1812. The building has had many alterations but still stands on East Clyde Street, having been converted into flats. Image date unknown.
Portincaple-House.jpg
Portincaple House1533 viewsPortincaple House on Loch Longside was also known as Ferry House, and the ferry plied across the loch to Mark. An open-air church service was held annually on the front lawn on Glasgow Fair Sunday. It was the home of ferryman and fisherman Finlay McNab and his family, and also the holiday home of the controversial Nottingham MP Charles Bradlaugh. Image circa 1902.
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse15 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.
Fruin-from-Craigs-Pool-w.jpg
Snowy Fruin625 viewsA wintertime scene in Glen Fruin looking to the north and west. Image, circa 2006, supplied by Gordon Fraser.

Last additions
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse15 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit12 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed7 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque24 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh27 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer11 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone13 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Burgh-pier-w.jpg
Pier from above11 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.Mar 28, 2019