Helensburgh Heritage Trust Photo Gallery

Your online photo album


Home :: Login
Helensburgh Heritage Trust :: Album list :: Last uploads :: Last comments :: Most viewed :: Top rated :: My Favorites :: Search
Choose your language:

Category Albums Files
Heritage
Welcome to the Helensburgh Heritage Trust GalleryWithin this gallery are all the images. If you click the link above you will find the albums containing the images


22 1,949
People


Sam_Bryden13.jpg

47 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 39 times

The Arts


CRM_postcard4.jpg

35 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Works of art


Colquhoun-Lady-Helen-w.jpg

53 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2015
Album viewed 17 times

Business


1st_1957_Advertiser2.jpg

109 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 26 times

Education


Glen_Fruin_school10.jpg

130 files, last one added on Jul 29, 2018
Album viewed 32 times

John Logie Baird


John-Logie-Baird5093.jpg

64 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 17 times

Henry Bell and the Comet


Comet-flywheel-in-park-w.jpg

109 files, last one added on Nov 18, 2014
Album viewed 16 times

Prime Minister Andrew Bonar Law


Bonar-Law-1922-chess-w.jpg

20 files, last one added on Dec 27, 2018
Album viewed 17 times

Military


German-Heinkel5.jpg

91 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 24 times

Organisations


Rovers-building-cabin-w.jpg

80 files, last one added on Jul 01, 2018
Album viewed 23 times

Royal Visits


1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 18 times

Mansions


Hill-House-box-w.jpg

96 files, last one added on Mar 26, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — Burgh


Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg

299 files, last one added on Mar 28, 2019
Album viewed 27 times

Places — District


Rhu-water-trip.jpg

222 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2019
Album viewed 29 times

Religion


Luss_Church_window5.jpg

82 files, last one added on May 02, 2018
Album viewed 15 times

Screen and stage stars


Deborah-Kerr0521.jpg

66 files, last one added on Dec 14, 2017
Album viewed 21 times

Shops


Sinclair-St-crossing-w.jpg

29 files, last one added on Jan 07, 2017
Album viewed 24 times

Transport — General


Uncle_Hector_at_Helensburgh_car.jpg

42 files, last one added on Oct 05, 2017
Album viewed 25 times

Transport — Railways


2018-March-train-1-w.jpg

73 files, last one added on Mar 15, 2018
Album viewed 26 times

Transport — Steamers


Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg

79 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 19 times

Sport


Bobby_McGregor1.jpg

139 files, last one added on Apr 16, 2019
Album viewed 28 times

Old Postcards


Helensburgh_1903.jpeg

These images are copies of old postcards and some are watermarked. Please respect this website by not copying the images.

55 files, last one added on Feb 10, 2015
Album viewed 24 times

22 albums on 1 page(s)

1,949 files in 22 albums and 2 categories with 0 comments viewed 1,759,425 times

Random files
Hermitage_Park_two_bridges.jpg
Two rustric bridges821 viewsTwo bridges at the south end of Hermitage Park, with Hermitage School over the wall, and Malig (or Millig) Mill beyond the second bridge. Image by courtesy of Helensburgh Library; date unknown.
Mr-_-Mrs-A_N_Paterson-w.jpg
Artistic couple595 viewsNoted artist Maggie Hamilton (1867-1952) was the daughter of James and Mary Hamilton, of Thornton Lodge, Sinclair Street, Helensburgh, and brother of artist J.Whitelaw Hamilton, one of the first of the 'Glasgow Boys'. In 1897 she married architect and artist Alexander Nisbet Paterson, and the couple are seen here in their family home, Long Croft, in West Rossdhu Drive. Image by courtesy of the Anderson Trust.cx
Patients-at-wishing-well.jpg
At the Wishing Well731 viewsDuring World War One from 1914-18 the Helensburgh Town Council-owned Hermitage House in Hermitage Park became a military hospital with a capacity for 58 patients who were sent from Stobhall Hospital in Glasgow. The wounded men in their blue uniforms were a familiar sight in the town, being wheeled around the park by their nurses. A number of local ladies and girls helped out in the hospital and the local Red Cross detachment also assisted the trained nurses. Here some of the patients and staff are seen posing beside the Wishing Well in Hermitage Park. Image date unknown.
Annie-Baird-statue.jpg
Sister unveils bust837 viewsMiss Annie Baird, sister of John Logie Baird, unveiled a bust of the TV inventor in Hermitage Park, Helensburgh, in 1960. Also in the picture are the Rev Robert Cairns, minister of St Bride's Church where Baird's father was minister. Some years later the bust was moved to a position on the seafront opposite William Street.
Baird_undersock.jpg
Selling Baird undersocks614 viewsOne of John Logie Baird's inventions was the Baird undersock, described as a specially medicated soft absorbent sheath worn next to the skin under the sock to absorb and neutralise perspiration, keeping feet clean and healthy. Said to be ideal for the soldier, and with tributes from men in the World War One trenches, they cost eight shillings for half a dozen pairs. Image date not known.
Glen_Fruin_river.jpg
River Fruin603 viewsThe River Fruin running through the glen near the Black Bridge. Image date unknown.
BB-parade-w.jpg
On parade676 viewsA Helensburgh Boys Brigade company pictured outside Hermitage Park on a Remembrance Day day parade. More details would be welcomed, and it is thought that the leader was a Mr Watt. Image — date unknown — kindly supplied by Gordon Fraser, who now lives in Sweden.
Sinclair_St_sledging306.jpg
Sledging on Sinclair Street747 viewsA well known photo of two boys sledging down Sinclair Street, Helensburgh. Image circa 1910.

Last additions
Cardross-Golf-Club-original-w.jpg
Original clubhouse15 viewsThe original Cardross Golf Club clubhouse, which was destroyed in a World War Two bombing raid by the Luftwaffe over the night of May 5 1941. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
1965-Royal-Visit-2-w.jpg
1965 Royal Visit12 viewsThe Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are pictured in Helensburgh Central Station admiring a model of the first 'Blue Train' which would soon be introduced into service on the Helensburgh-Glasgow line. The 15 minute visit was on Monday June 28 1965 to open new council offices, and the royal couple arrived at and left Clydebank on the royal yacht Britannia. With them are Provost J.McLeod Williamson and his wife Rosina. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Lucy-Ashton-test-bed-w.jpg
Lucy Ashton as test bed7 viewsThe steamer Lucy Ashton operated the Craigendoran - Gareloch - Greenock service from the early 1900s until she was withdrawn during the Second World War. In 1949 she was sold for scrap, but received a last minute reprieve when the British Shipbuilding Research Association converted her to a jet-powered hull to conduct resistance experiments to analyse the impact of drag and friction on a full-scale ship hull. She was fitted with four Rolls-Royce Derwent V engines, which would not disturb the water in the same way as a propeller and shaft, then was scrapped in 1951. Photo by courtesy of Helensburgh Memories on Facebook.Apr 16, 2019
Maitland-Street-plaque-w.jpg
Maitland Street plaque24 viewsThis worn carved stone in the wall at the foot of Maitland Street dates from 1778 and denotes the productive local trade of herring fishing in the early 19th century. The cured fish were stored in barrels made in the cooperage there. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Trust-book-w.jpg
Around Helensburgh27 viewsCompilers Kenneth Crawford, who wrote the captions, and Alison Roberts are pictured at the 1999 launch of the Helensburgh Heritage Trust book of old local pictures, entitled Around Helensburgh and part of the Images of Scotland series from Tempus Publishing Ltd of Stroud, Gloucestershire.Mar 28, 2019
Gasometer-w.jpg
Burgh gasometer11 viewsThe gasometer, built in 1928, stood between East Clyde Street and East Princes Street opposite Helensburgh Central Station. It was decommissioned in 2012 and demolished in the summer of 2014, to be replaced by a car park. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Garrawy-b-stone-w.jpg
Boundary stone13 viewsOne of Helensburgh's boundary stones, this one in Garrawy Glen above Kirkmichael. Photo by Kenneth Crawford.Mar 28, 2019
Burgh-pier-w.jpg
Pier from above11 viewsAn aerial view of the Helensburgh pier area, pre-2010 when the Mariners pub opposite the old Parish Church tower was burnt down.Mar 28, 2019